Friday, January 25, 2013

Week 18: Tips for adding Offbrand to a Lolita Wardrobe


This shall be my first post as part of the Lolita Blog Carnival & I'm so happy with the topic...BECAUSE...Before, I could barely afford brand items, so I was constantly mixing offbrand into my coordinates...& I still do ^_^

First of all, Blouses are a must have for Lolitas...to either wear with a skirt or wear under a jsk ;)
Things I look for:
1) Peter Pan Collar: This gives that nice vintage~y doll look & is perfect with sweet or classic.  
2) Ruffles or some kind of lace embellishment or embroidery: This adds the frillyness to an outfit & can be good for any style, like sweet, classic to even kodona.
3) Cute decoration: This would be ribbons, bows, a cute print, design...& it's even better if the sleeves are slightly pouffy for that girly feel.
4) Blouses with a high collar: perfect for a more Gothic look ^^

Here are a few examples of what i've found:
 Peter Pan collar top from Lands End found at Goodwill (not including brown top...i keep it that way in my closet ;P )
and a cute white ruffly top from Sears: Brand: South Pole

 And here are 2 chiffon tops from Forever21 since Chiffon is one of the latest trends in Lolita ;)
I just LOVE these b/c I can still wear long sleeves &not melt in it ;P
 Along with the peterpan collar top, I found this beautiful blue one during one of my trips to Goodwill & a friend even thought it was a Brand blouse ;)

Next, I like to occasionally wear pretty socks or stockings with my outfits and I've managed to find some pretty nice ones at places like Payless, Icing, Forever21, Charlotte Russe & even Hot Topic ^^

 Things I look for: I personally like the Lace-up look...as well as cute prints: bows, hearts, lace
And lately,patterned tights are becoming very popular to wear with Lolita clothing ;D


My 3rd offbrand find has been footwear & i've managed to get away with mainly wearing mary janes or cute pumps with my outfits...I'd like to get a nice Brand pair of shoes one day XD
Things I look for: rounded toe, mary jane style with the strap going across or even tstrap shoes look nice.  Also, boots are always good, either knee high, ankle length, zip-up or lace-up ^^
 From left to right: My AMAZING find @ Goodwill: ivory victorian style boots...I was so happy when they fit ^_^
One of the best items payless had: VW look alike flats ;)
And a nice classic pair of mary janes(from Sears i think)...I actually have a few of these & various pumps and also, Oxfords can make for a nice kodona/school girl look ;D

Finally, last, but not least: ACCESSORIES!!
A lot of the time, i'm too lazy to actually style my hair & or wear a wig, so I usually wear some kind of hair accessory.
Things I look for: bows, lace, pearls or other fancy embellishments in the styles of Headbands, hair clips, any berets & mini hats.
I was super into the mini hat trend, so I bought a bunch of them...all from Icing ;D
Also, even though a beret is plain, it's easy to embellish it ^^
The ivory beret has a red bow I took off from another headband...& I clipped on the Chocomint stars clip to my black somewhat punky beret.

I also LOVE wearing rings with my outfits ^_^
Things I look for: bows, cameos, and anything else that might match a print I own (example: my cross ring matches Hymn print Perfectly ^^
And this thinking is used for other jewelry items as well: necklace, earrings, bracelets.
Also, Icing has a nice selection of gloves & even wrist cuffs ;)

And now, here are some examples of my outfits where I used some of these offbrand items ;D
 For a lot of these, the brand i'm accenting is Bodyline, since that's all I could afford for a while...
Now, I have more main Lolita Brand items, but I still like to incorporate offbrand into it ;)

 Brand: IW camisole; Kidsoyo beret /Offbrand: blouse, socks, shoes, skirt(handmade)
 Brand: Bodyline jsk, hairbow, bag/ Offbrand: turtleneck top, cardigan, socks, shoes
 Brand:Bodyline skirt, socks/ Offbrand: beret, blouse; Wholesale or ebay: bag & shoes
Brand: Bodyline skirt, socks/ Offbrand: blouses, shoes, gloves(vintage)/ Everything else is either handmade or thrifted & embellished ^^
Brand: AATP JSK; Bodyline sleeves(detached from blouse)/ Offbrand:necklace, rings, tights, boots, bag(from ebay)
Brand: MMM JSK; Bodyline socks; Montreal shoes/Offbrand: blouse, gloves & bag
 Brand: IW JSK, bag, (ears made from iw fabric); Bodyline socks(i think) /Offbrand: blouse, teddy bear bag, shoes

And now, here are some other LBC members with their tips:

1 comment:

  1. You are queen at finding good Lolitable items!! At least I think so. You always find good things and know how to embellish them. We NEED to go on a trip to Good Will together... Heck, shopping in general :P

    ReplyDelete