Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Very First Yukata ^^

 I am a Yonsei(read more here) or 4th Generation Japanese, which could be why i know or own so little of my culture :/  One of the main items is a Kimono(formal wear)...or Yukata(light summer wear) & I actually went through most of my childhood never owning my own Japanese clothing until all us girls got to choose a kimono & obi from my Uncle's mother's collection ^_^  And so I did...but...it's real silk(or vintage) & white/cream, so I really don't want to wear it out...which means it just sits there in my closet & collects dust :/

Then, a bunch of years later, I got into Anime/Cosplaying & i had to sew my own Kimono outfit for my char, Lukia from Godchild:


 But it had to have a victorian/european look...& I still feel like I wouldn't be able to wear it out much, especially to bon dances... :/

THEN FINALLY, earlier this month...I found myself @ Shirokiya, a store that carries japanese goods...&...there was a SALE on YUKATA ^_^  So, naturally, with what little money I had, I scoured the racks & picked out a print that didn't have too much pink, but still matched my style ;)

*side note: we went to Shirokiya after seeing Septime Webre's Alice in Wonderland ballet, so I was dressed in Lolita at the time...which is not the best thing to wear when picking out yukata ;P *

I got the cheapest cotton Yukata, which was about $70 & the sale was for 30% off, so adding in the tie I needed, I paid about $55 for everything XD  It was such a good deal & luckily, I found a print that matches the Obi I already own, so now I'm all ready for the many Bon Festivals around the island ^_^ It's just too bad that the season is ending soon, but I'll definitely be able to wear it to at least one @ the end of the month ^^  

All I need to decide on now is how to style it ;)  I'm definitely wearing a camisole & skirt underneath (per my friend's suggestion) but I don't know if I should go traditional style or try something a little different...here's some ideas I had:


This was in the Gothic Lolita Bible vol 44 & I've been so in love with Juliette et Justine prints lately!  I really love the classic feel to it & even though I don't have the same amazing print, I like the idea of wearing lace gloves & putting a giant corsage on my obi...Then again, I'm also a huge fan of Dolly-Kei, so I thought of hanging a tassel  from the Obi instead & keeping the accessories vintage looking ;D

here's an example with a tassel, but it's a somewhat "Sweet Wa-Loli" look, which I actually like as well XD


So many choices...but either way i'm happy I finally got a Yukata & I can't WAIT to wear it out ^_^

Also...It looks like there's a site for Shirokiya...I had no idea ;)

http://www.shirokiya.com/





1 comment:

  1. I always love that cosplay. ^o^ Your yukata looked beautiful at Oki Fest!

    ReplyDelete